Thursday, December 08, 2005

There are some bargains to be had out there.

As a grossly underpaid laky I often find myself rummaging through the “Reduced to Clear” section in my local supermarket. Usually unless I find something at least pretty close to what’s on my shopping list the reduction won’t be enough to make me pick it up. But very occasionally someone gets let loose with the pricing gun that really wants to shift the stuff and tonight I hit the jackpot.

I’m happy to say that I got a huge slab of gammon marked down from £14.75 to £2.91 (no I haven’t mistyped that – really £2.91), a selection of king prawn thingies that normally go for £8 for £1.40 and a citrus seafood roulade that normally shifts at £13 for £2.40. We normally get some sort of whole ham for Christmas so that’s now covered. We routinely buy prawns (although not usually the “Finest” stuff like this) so all will get used for lunch tomorrow - and if we don’t like any of it then who cares.

It’s just so nice to have some good fortune to report, especially so early on. It seems that it’s not often that such happy, positive events get blogged. For instance, tonight there’ll be a post from a Tesco employee bemoaning the fact that all the stuff she’d concealed right down the bottom of the reduced section had disappeared by the time she went off shift.

Now, do I glaze the gammon with marmalade or stud it with cloves?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home