Saturday, December 10, 2005

Frustrating Frontpage

This is my first post using Blogger for Word so if something is wrong that’s what I’m blaming.

Yesterday I revamped the company Intranet. I’m not a natural web designer. I lack any artistic ability at all. So when I originally designed the site I just used MS FrontPage (2000 probably) and chucked together a simple, functional site. I got the hang of frames and tables and everything worked well enough. Using the hover buttons was a mistake, but I didn’t know it at the time.

Now I make everyone use FireFox and the Intranet doesn’t always load properly. Those hover buttons give me gyp so I decided to revamp the site using standard buttons.

Nowadays I have Frontpage 2003 installed so I thought I’d use that. I have even used it to produce another web site from scratch that I am very pleased with. So, having curved my learning once a mere reworking of an existing site should be simple.

Maybe this version of Frontpage just isn’t very friendly but I just couldn’t get on with it. I eventually figured out how the automatic navigation widget works but I can’t get different settings for different pages. I expect it’s not supposed to do that. And I find positioning things very complicated. When it was frames I had no trouble but they seem to be old hat and there’s some strange new mechanism to do this.

Maybe it’s Frontpage and I should find something that works better and learn how to use it properly. Maybe I’m just getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home